Two out of five stars as our dinner from Chinese restaurant Lotus Garden last night was edible – but far, VERY far, from being enjoyable. A bag of chips would have been far more tasty than the disappointing delivery from this restaurant .
We recently moved to Upland and are still trying to find businesses that deliver to our part of town, and it seems that the choices are pretty scarce. Lots of restaurant options nearby in the colonies area if you want to dine out, but it seems I’ll have to do some cooking myself if we’re in the mood to Netflix and chill.
I ordered delivery from Lotus Garden last night. This place is about 4 plus miles away from our house, and they delivered within half hour which was surprising. At first I was excited for the quick turn around time, but immediately after looking at our delivery I could tell that all the items were probably sitting there all day as nothing looked fresh.
Here is what we ordered:
• Egg rolls – Two vegetable egg rolls which were super slimy inside and really oily outside. No actual flavor.
• Chicken dumplings – These were pretty burnt. I just had a small bite and put it away as it just tasted like char and oil.
• Combination Chowmein – Oily and flavorless, with grey looking meat bits.
• Orange Chicken (half order)- Sweet dough balls that were possibly fried 12 hours ago and were now just a glazy mush.
• Mongolian Beef (half order)- Watery and salty sauce. Meat wasn’t tough but I could taste a raw flour after taste. Hard to explain, but this was the most edible dish.
With tax, delivery fee, and tip, we spent $45.00.
I ordered through Yelp, and requested the chow mein and the Mongolian beef to be “very spicy”. I don’t think they pay attention to any requests as all of our dishes were simply flavorless and were far from even having a hint of spice. Salt and oil seemed like the two main ingredients they use.
I love supporting small businesses and were really hoping to find our new go-to Chinese delivery place. Unfortunately the food was very disappointing, and we would never eat here again. My better bet maybe to pick up a Chinese cookbook and learn to make a few staples items the next time we get a craving!