Our Japanese teppanyaki dinner at Tokyo Garden could be described as moderate at best. Being super generous by rating them 3 out of 5 stars as I don’t see myself coming here again, but I think 2 stars equates to gross food, and nothing tasted bad. All the food we tried was just OK and forgettable.
FOOD: Teppanyaki dinner for 2 without any drinks was around $85.00 and it didn’t feel like money well spent. I ordered steak and shrimp, and my friend ordered steak and chicken. We shared an order of California rolls. The food lacked both quality and quantity. I had a bag of Hot Cheetos for dinner, after my dinner :/
SERVICE: Just meh overall.
• The 2 hostesses in the front looked tired/bored and one was eating food.
• We had to wait about 30 minutes for a chef to come to the table after being seated.
• After 15 minutes passed and we asked the server about when to expect a chef, she said “maybe 10 to 15 to 20 more minutes” – my friend didn’t like that response and requested her to narrow down that time range. Her response was “I don’t know; do you want to wait or not?” Though she said that really politely, I still felt like a kid who just got yelled at in class.
• We had to flag people down for water and soda refills each time.
• Our chef did put on a little bit of a show which was nice.
This restaurant has been around for a very long time hidden away in a quiet parking lot in the city of Montclair and I was really hoping to love it – but after this experience, I don’t wanna drop another $100 bill on dinner that tastes “MEH”. Pass.
Montclair, CA 91763